WordPress security is important to think about. When you install wordpress on your site, it comes with a built-in firewall that helps protect against malicious attacks, but usually, that’s not enough so you’d probably install a tool such as our Shield Security Free or Pro plugin. However, any unused themes or plugins will make your wordpress vulnerable. This blog post is going to go over 10 different ways to clean up and secure your wordpress site!
10 Tips and Tricks to Reduce Overload and Secure Your WordPress Website:
- Delete any unused themes or plugins from your wordpress site in order to clean it up and reduce vulnerabilities from attacks on your site’s security.
- Deactivate all unused themes and plugins instead of just deleting them so they’re still available if you ever need them again.
- Remove spam comments that are clogging up your site and taking up valuable server space.
- If you have any inactive users, delete their accounts to clean up your wordpress site.
- Review the wordpress security settings on your website and make sure they’re as tight as possible.
- Update wordpress, themes, and plugins regularly so that you’re using the latest versions which come with security enhancements.
- Use a caching plugin to help speed up your website – this will not only improve user experience but also SEO performance.
- Minimize the use of third-party scripts (such as social media sharing buttons) on your wordpress site as these can slow it down and make it more vulnerable to hacking.
- It’s also important to review wordpress setup and make sure there isn’t any room for improvement
There’s a lot in this list, we know. That’s why we’ve included a checklist in our Free or Pro version with links to the settings you need to have for securing your site and applying most of the optimization listed above.